When Workplace Accidents Involve More than Workers’ Compensation

by | Apr 17, 2014 | Uncategorized

15815507_s-300x200.jpgEmployees who are injured on the job are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits, but did you know that injured workers may also be entitled to additional compensation, as well? Under workers’ compensation laws, injured workers are generally entitled to workers’ compensation benefits regardless of who was at fault for the accident. In exchange for workers’ compensation benefits, injured workers are prohibited from bringing a personal injury lawsuit against the employer even if the employer was negligent or responsible for the workplace accident. There are circumstances, however, in which an injured worker may be able to bring a third-party claim to recover personal injury damages following a work-related accident. Unlike workers’ compensation benefits, which are limited to a percentage of the injured workers’ salary, personal injury damages can include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. Moreover, personal injury damage awards are not limited by the employee’s salary. For instance, many jobs require that an employee operate a motor vehicle while on the job. While operating a vehicle is the primary job duty for delivery drivers and truckers, other occupations may also require that an employee drive a car while on the job. For example, a salesman may occasionally need to drive to other locations on business trips or a plant supervisor may need to drive to another factory site to oversee operations. If a worker is injured in an auto accident while on the job, he or she may also have a personal injury claim against the negligent motorist. Similarly, if a worker is injured as a result of defective machinery or equipment, the injured worker may have a product liability claim against the product manufacturer, or if a worker’s injuries are exacerbated as a result of medical error, the injured worker may also have a medical malpractice claim against the treating doctor or hospital.

What to Do If You Are In a Work-Related Auto Accident

If you are in a work-related accident, you should notify your manager and obtain medical attention. In the case of a work-related auto accident, you should also notify the police. It is highly recommended that you contact a personal injury attorney as well. The Chicago accident and injury lawyers at Steinberg, Goodman & Kalish are dedicated to helping accident and injury victims obtain maximum financial recovery from all possible sources following a work-related accident. We will guide you through the workers’ compensation claim process and represent you in connection with any applicable third-party claims, as well. We have obtained record setting and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of our injured clients. Contact the Chicago workplace accident lawyers at Steinberg, Goodman & Kalish to schedule a free consultation to discuss any work-related accident claims.   Steinberg Goodman & Kalish  (www.sgklawyers.com) is dedicated to protecting victims and their families.  We handle medical malpractice, product liability, personal injury, wrongful death, auto accidents, professional negligence, birth trauma, and railroad law matters. Contact us at(800) 784-0150 or (312) 782-1386.

$2,300,000 – Brain Injury
$650,000 – Motor Vehicle Accident
$800,000 – Construction Injury
$570,000 – Medical Malpractice

$4,300,000 – Medical Malpractice
$4,100,000 – Construction
$4,000,000 – Medical Malpractice
$3,000,000 – Vehicle Accident

$950,000 – Birth Injury Malpractice
$5,860,000 Medical Malpractice – Wrongful Death
$1,800,000 – Product Liability
$4,000,000 – Medical Malpractice

$3,000,000 – Vehicle Accident
$950,000 – Birth Injury Malpractice
$7,500,000 – Premises Liability

Watch Our Videos:

Learn about our firm and how our expertise in personal injury cases will ensure that you receive the best possible outcome to your case.